Farquhar Blog: 26 March – 3 April 2011

Faquhar - 27 March - 3 April 2011 - Brain Gies (41)Faquhar - 27 March - 3 April 2011 - Tim Babich (32)It’s the last night of our sixth trip on Farqhuar Athol in 2011. Under our palm thatched outdoor dining area guides and clients quite stack of the day just pssed. It’s a warm evening and the cold and refreshing beers are certainly going down a treat. Its been – for want of a better expression- a helleva week.

Faquhar - 27 March - 3 April 2011 - Tim Babich (22)This was mainly because the GT’s decided this was their time to shine. Each morning as soon as the tide began to push, the GT’s erupted onto the flats. If you were in the right place at the right time, everything was completely manic. Radio’s would crackle to life as each guide spotted GT’s coming on to the flat at different parts of the atol. Sometimes they’d be seen 150m from the boat and there would be a shambles of rods and equipment as everyone jumped back on to the boat to chase them down. Sometimes the fish would come right up to the boat, bow waves streaming forward as the fished pushed through the skinny water. sadly not all fish in these situations are landed…let alone hooked, with GT “fever” claiming more than it’s fair share of victims.

Then there were the days where everything came together. The result was a 135cm monster caught by Richard Mukheibir. To put it into perspective it’s one of the biggest GT’s we’ve landed on the flats. That includes Assumption, Cosmoledo, Providance and St Brandon’s. Paul Imperia’s end of week tally was 5 fish, exceptional concidering how easy it is to miss a shot at a fast swimming fish such as a GT. By the end of the week we had landed close to 30 GT’s, a good number of which were over a meter.

Of course there were moments when the GT’s were quiet, but Farqhaur caters for those moments exceptionally well. Many Yellow-Margin and Moustache Triggers were caught on the flats, as Faquhar - 27 March - 3 April 2011 - Brain Gies (38)well as a sack load of Bones. Some of the Bones were pretty sizable, with Jim Mair landing a fish of 8lb on the first day. Most notably two large Napolean Wrasses were also landed. Consequently we named a certain spot the “Wrasse Hole” ….which certain got a couple giggles throughout.

So while we sat around the dinner table under the stars, each of us sunburned, with sore casting arms and cut up hands, dinner was unusually quiet. This was in stark contrast from the previous nights, but tonight everyone had thoughts of fish caught and as always about the one that got away. I think its safe to say those thoughts will be with them for a long time to come.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *